Monday, September 21, 2009

Second trip...

Today I completed the second trip to & from. Felt less like an idiot and more comfortable with the equipment and the route. Made it driveway to bike rack in 25 minutes flat, return trip in 35 minutes ride time. Felt much stronger and better able to tackle my hill. Didn't have to do much delaying or resting going up today- just went straight up, non stop.

In two rides I've had two drivers nearly turn into my path. Reminds me how careful one needs to be in an area where cyclists are rare... drivers just don't see you. I am riding in daylight still, just before dusk, but I still have my flashers on front and rear. I've actually seen drivers pull up to the road and react to the light first, then focus back and see me. Definitely important- like daytime running lights for cars, same principle.

In the same two rides, however, I think I said "hi" to at least a dozen different people, smelled different foods being cooked in neighborhood kitchens along the way, and seen back alleys and tucked away corners of neighborhoods I've never seen in the nearly 10 years I've lived here. It's wonderful. Never would you experience that in a car. It must be good for me and these people at a basic human level- positive fellowship with perfect strangers in one's community simply because our eyes met while we were within hearing distance of each other and felt compelled to at least acknowledge each other's presence.

Hope to ride at least once more this week... will check back and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment