Tuesday, October 27, 2009

Eco-"statistics"

Well, these are not official in any way, but here's my summary of the outcomes of my riding thus far.

I began on 9/14, and have ridden twice weekly for 6 of the 7 weeks (last week rode 3x).

That's fifteen 12 mile round trips.  If I used my truck @ 14 mpg I would have used 13 gallons.

19lbs CO2 are generated per gallon gas burnt.

That means I've prevented almost 200 pounds of CO2 from being released into the atmosphere.

Plus I've lost 6 or 7 pounds thus far as well.

(Some might suggest that the lost fat actually was converted into CO2, and had been safely "sequestered" away from the atmosphere in my body.  But at least this is C that operates within the food chain and can be seen as "sustainable" in terms of the rapid uptake of C by plants in this version of the carbon cycle).

No comments:

Post a Comment