Monday, October 12, 2009

Cold Weather, faster riding...

Getting in better shape, it seems.  Rides to work are averaging less than 25 minutes, door to door.  I'm also pretty much warmed up, but not lathered up upon arrival.  Colder weather also helps, too.  Rides home have been shaved down to 30 minutes.  I plastered DOT red & white reflective tape on the bike, and plan to add another blinky for safety.  It's getting darker sooner, and I'm getting used to riding in the dark, something I've never done very much.

I'm more used to the Xtracycle, and am continually surprised at how well it handles.  I push it harder and harder and it seems to pretty much do what I ask.  Rode with my wife on the snapdeck this weekend, just cruising up and down our street, but that also went well too.  I can see how it would work well downtown, but there's no way I could pull any heavy load back up the hill to my house w/o an electric assist setup (or an aneurysm). 

Basically, the riding is starting to become my new normal, and all the "unknowns" seem to have been explored- routes, traffic, locking, handling, gear, loads, etc.  It's incredibly liberating to know I can get anywhere around here by my own power.  I initially thought I'd need an assist setup, but I'm glad I've done without thus far.  When I start delivering my twins to preschool 5 days a week, a Stokemonkey will definitely be in order.  For now, it's old fashioned muscle power, and it's fabulous. 

Thus far: September through mid-October, averaging 2 round trips to work per week, 8 trips total, 88 miles, 2760 vertical feet climbed, and 120 pounds of CO2 saved by not driving.  Plus, I've lost 5 pounds too, with no change in eating habits (mmm, beer).

No comments:

Post a Comment